Home | Doug Silva | Surfing | Kitesurfing | SUP | Windsurfing | Pros | About | FAQ

Who are some of the best kitesurfing instructors in Maui and why?

I’d like to get some recommendations on kitesurfing instructors on Maui for myself and friends coming to visit. I’m at the level that I can stay upwind and jump on a twin tip, and I’d like to learn how to use a directional board, and everything I can about safety to avoid any kitemares.

Please reply with you recommend and why, and if you give lessons, please feel free to post some details on what you offer in terms of lessons.

Nick Moran - Teaches with HST Windsurfing & Kitesurfing 425 Koloa Street, Kahului (inside Hi-Tech Surf Sports) 808-871-5423 Nick has been teaching kitesurfing since 2006. He has a boat load of talent both as an instructor and rider. He teaches all skill levels from beginner to expert, including jumps and wave riding. He is also a heli pilot and a heck of a nice guy!

Aaron Nurre - Teaches at HST Windsurfing & Kitesurfing 425 Koloa Street, Kahului (inside Hi-Tech Surf Sports) 808-871-5423 Aaron has been teaching for two years. He is strong and capable, with a background in personal training he has an appreciation for various body mechanics and adapts his teaching well to each students needs and abilities. Organized, affable, capable and talented - what else could you want?

Christian Barcellos - Teaches at HST Windsurfing & Kitesurfing 425 Koloa Street, Kahului (inside Hi-Tech Surf Sports) 808-871-5423 Christian has been teaching for many years and is also a team rider for Naish Hawaii. Also a talented surfer and Stand-Up-Paddler, hiker, diver, all around amazing athlete and human being. aka Christian Pacific on Facebook, he posts some fun aerial shots from is drone.

3 Likes

I got a refresher lesson with Aaron Nurre from HST after not kiting for 12 years (a lot changed in that time). I can recommend him. He focuses heavily on safety which is a good thing. One problem is when the wind is too much out of the ENE, which creates a big wind shadow at Kanaha that extends 50 yards out from the shore. That makes it super tricky for learning or for anyone to launch. Try and pick a good NNE trades day.

3 Likes

Rick Dobrowski 463-5439. Been there a long time and this is his career, not a job. Great guy, highly entertaining esp. with his crew.

1 Like

Personally I think Brett Lickle is the best instructor I’ve had in any sport. I’ve gotten kiting / hydrofoil / surf lessons from him for 6 years now and he has great communication and technical skills. I cannot recommend him highly enough. I think he may only be teaching part time now, but you can ask Patti Cadiz at HST for his details. She will know if he is available or not.

1 Like

thanks for the awesome information.

thanks, my issue has been fixed.