Home | Doug Silva | Surfing | Kitesurfing | SUP | Windsurfing | Pros | About | FAQ

What's your favorite pre-post workout smoothie?

I absolutely love smoothies for a quick post workout fueling. I’m a firm believer that your energy the next day depends highly on having your post workout recovery drink or smoothie prepared before any vigorous activity so that you can refuel right when you get out of the water. Here’s my favorite recipe. What’s yours?

VitaMixer on HIGH

1. Frozen organic blueberries
  2. Frozen organic spinach or fresh kale leaves (no stems)
  3. Ground chia seeds (sometimes flax seeds)
  4. Plain Greek yogurt
  5. Filtered water
  6. Small apple banana (optional)
  7. Bee Pollen (optional)

The new VitaMixer has a “smoothie” setting that works perfectly. Otherwise, blend on HIGH until very smooth.

VitaMixer on LOW to add Protein

1. One scoop whey protein powder (BioChem Ultimate Protein System)
  2. Four raw organic eggs

It’s critical not to blend the eggs or protein powder on high, or else the smoothie will turn into custard when you try to drink it.

This is my go-to recovery drink after any serious exertion. I try not to drink this all at once, or else it makes me too full. I definitely don’t drink this within 2 hours prior to hard exertion, and I might drink half earlier in the day before an afternoon workout.

What’s your favorite refueling recipe? And remember, it’s critical to refuel ASAP so that you don’t feel sluggish later in the day or the next day!