Home | Doug Silva | Surfing | Kitesurfing | SUP | Windsurfing | Pros | About | FAQ

Top Condition as you Get Older

What are your top tips for staying in shape as you get older?

One tip I’ve got is listening to audiobooks as you do endurance training, and books on health are helpful! I use an X-1 case for my iPhone to listen as I paddle.

I just listened to a couple audio books on staying super healthy as you get older. See links below. The key take aways I got are:

1. Exercise, sleep, and diet are all critical and all work together. If you don’t get proper sleep, you won’t feel like exercising, and you’ll probably eat poorly. If you don’t exercise or eat right, you won’t sleep well.
  2. As you get older, you must exercise 6 days a week. If you do this, your body will stay way healthy. If you don’t do this, you’ll go downhill. Don’t fool yourself into thinking 3 or 4 days will do it!
  3. You need a mission in life. If you retire and don’t have passions, you better find some! Otherwise, your health will suffer.
  4. Sex is good for you. Good exercise creates healthy circulation, which makes sex just as enjoyable at any age, and having sex as you age is very good for your health.

In Maui, we’ve got tons of healthy older folks with mission in life of “finding surf” that also takes care of “exercise 6 days a week”.

Here’s great example of these concepts: MOLOKAI 2 MAUI: TRAIN WITH PEGGY KING

July 12, 2014 – Peggy King will be on the starting line ready for the Maui to Molokai SUP race. This event, which begins in Honolua Bay, covers a stretch of water often described as “The Best Downwind Run On The Planet.” With her 60th birthday in the rear view mirror, Peggy King’s M2M training had been well-planned and solid. She feels ready for her second solos M2M.

1 Like

Here’s a video to inspire those that think they’re getting too old for this stuff (also posted in favorite Maui videos).

http://vimeo.com/48683534