Home | Doug Silva | Surfing | Kitesurfing | SUP | Windsurfing | Pros | About | FAQ

Shark Sighting Makena, 7:15 am, Saturday, May 17, 2015

I’ve been surfing in Maui since the late 1990s, and I’ve never seen a shark while surfing.

Today, immediately after I paddled out halfway to the lineup, south of Makena, I saw a fin, maybe 1 ft high, quickly slicing through the water. I’ve seen dolphins plenty of times to know they go up and down. This was different!

I yelled out “shark” and pointed to where I saw it, and then the other guys saw the whole shark visible in the face of a swell! I was with Nick Rossi and Ben Gibson.

Needless to say:

1. Those that saw the shark were freaked out.
  2. I couldn’t focus on surfing after I saw the shark.
  3. I wondered that if we got bit after we knew there was a shark in the water, if other would think we were beyond dumb. Especially after all the recent attacks in Makena.
  4. Those that did not see the shark had more of an attitude of “doesn’t matter, there’s always sharks out here.” I used to have that attitude. Not any more!

Thanks for doing an excellent job of clearing out the crowd. Didn’t see your friend again.

We have some juvenile (7-9 foot) great whites hanging around El Porto these days. Gorgeous fishes but they still scare the heck out of me: