Home | Doug Silva | Surfing | Kitesurfing | SUP | Windsurfing | Pros | About | FAQ

Extra Floatation for Safety in Big Wave Surfing, Kiting, etc

Any advice for what and when to use extra floatation for surfing in larger surf?

Any links of products to consider? I heard Matt Brown likes to use an O’Neill vest, but I’m not sure of which one.

Here’s a patagonia one:

Here in California a lot of the pros are using the Patagonia self inflation vest at mavericks and locally in big swell. I don’t think they are commercially available yet. Also the Billabong V1 wetsuit, same concept, also not sure if you can buy it yet.

Seems like a good direction to go in big surf. Though I wonder if it means people who aren’t ready for big waves will go out…

Or just bring your own air supply… http://www.spareairxtreme.com/mounting.html

1 Like

Since I’m mentioned I thought I’d throw in my two cents. I picked up a flotation vest at High Tech here on Mmaui, I like it because it’s just a little bit of flotation that helps me know which way is up and gets me up a bit quicker. Unlike the inflatable kind it won’t rocket me to the surface but on the positive side there’s nothing to go wrong, it fits under my spring suit and works well for duck diving and swimming under waves. But the main thing it does is increase my confidence which is really the most important thing in big waves.